The Old Days

I got this car back in 1986 when I was 18.  I bought it from my mom who was the second owner.  The original owner was a friend of hers from work who drove it out to L.A. from New Jersey.

I’ve rolled the odometer a few times since I took ownership and have easily put a quarter of a million miles on it.

In 1992, I had it painted by Guy Hill Cadillac.  They were recommended to me by a friend who worked there.   They stripped it down to the metal, did some minor body work and painted it with a 1993 Ford green called, “Medium Seafoam Poly”.

scamp_stripped1 scamp_stripped_2

Here’s how it looked after I got it back (took 3 months!)

scamp_painted1 scamp_painted2

The car looked great but felt old and tired.  The suspension was a little saggy, the rear end was a little noisy, engine a little rough.  The interior certainly showed its age.  The engine compartment was an eyesore and the underside was full of grime spattered on due to leaky seals.  Nevertheless, it was my daily driver until 2004 when I got my new Prius.  It sat on the street for a few years weathering the elements.  The paint job eventually faded, the clear coat peeling off.   I decided it was time to part with it and listed it on Craig’s List.  The calls quickly started coming in and each perspective buyer was asking strange questions.  “Is the right passenger door in good shape?”, “Does it have all of the chrome moulding?”  I realized these folks were going to part it out.  It wasn’t going to go to a good home, at least in one piece.  So I removed the listing from Craig’s list and moved the car to the garage.  Some day, I thought, I would restore this car myself.  The cats soon discovered it was a “safe” place to perch.

The car sat in there for eight years and more and more junk got piled on top of it until eventually it was hard to spot amidst the clutter.

Scamp buried

In early January, 2014 as I was struggling to get something out of the back of the garage, I realized that the car would just sit there forever, taking up space unless I took action and commence the long restoration process.  So on January 19, 2014 I made a plan:

  1. Clean out the garage
  2. Install good lighting (so I can see what I’m working on)
  3. Install a utility sink (to clean car parts)
  4. Install hanging storage racks so we can put stuff up high and free up floor space.

I stuck to my plan.  By February the junk was removed from the garage, new lighting was installed, a functioning utility sink was in place and the car was ready to move into position.  I installed a new car battery, sat in the driver’s seat and inserted the key in the ignition.  I pumped the gas pedal a few times and turned the key.  The engine cranked over several times but failed to start.  After some quick diagnosing I discovered that the needle valve in the carburetor was stuck.  Some quick tinkering fixed it and with smelly old gas filling the bowl, I tried again.  Vroom!  The engine started right up and the garage quickly filled up with nasty old burnt gas smell.  I quickly put ‘er into gear and pulled out into the driveway!

tiredScamp

Here’s where I discovered reverse no longer worked.  I had to rev the engine pretty hard while in reverse to get it to inch back into the garage.  Tranny is likely low on fluid.  I killed the engine and sighed.  I did it.  I took the first step.  I am now ready to begin this long adventure!