I cleaned the case and extension housing with a wire wheel. A new bushing was pressed into the end of the extension housing.
A fresh coat of DupliColor Ceramic Aluminum Engine paint was applied. This paint withstands oils and chemicals and tolerates high temperatures up to 500 degrees F.
Cleaning the oil pump housing with a wire wheel.
Fresh coat of paint applied to oil pump housing.
Putting the sprag clutch assembly back together.
When it came time to rebuild one of the clutch assemblies, I needed a special tool to compress the return spring enough so that I could release a retaining clip. I didn’t have the tool so I got creative and made one with supplies bought from The Home Depot.
I used PhotoShop to make a template showing where I should put the scribe marks on a 3″ diameter section of ABS pipe.
I scribed the marks then using a hole saw, I cut out three sections of the pipe forming three “legs”
Then I just tightened the wing nut enough to compress the spring and safely release the clip.
This picture shows the spring being compressed and if you look closely you can see the two ends of the retaining clip.
Clutch disassembled! I replaced the friction surfaces and seals.
Here’s the piston that goes inside the clutch. Getting it installed back into the clutch was a little tricky. The new seal kept wanting to catch on the bore of the clutch housing.
I ended up cutting up a plastic file folder and wrapping it around the inside bore of the clutch housing. Then I gently guided the piston all the way down. Once the piston was seated properly, I pulled the green plastic guide out.
Installing the output shaft.
Installing the planetary gear and clutch assemblies.
By this point, I had gotten most of the parts reinstalled. Just needed to put the extension housing on.
All done (and no leftover parts :-)! I never thought I could rebuild an automatic transmission but some YouTube videos and that blue Automatic Transmission Guide book in the picture below gave me the confidence I needed to tackle this project.