The car is starting to look pretty bare in the rear. Time to focus my attention toward the front of the car.
I removed the glove box door and the glove box itself. Snapped a picture of the bulb for the map light just so I’d remember what it went to later.
I plan to remove the instrument cluster next but to do so easily, I’ll need to pull the steering column first. I’ll need to disconnect the gear shift linkage and disconnect the steering shaft from the gear box.
The shift linkage is now disconnected. Rats. I don’t have a suitable tool to tap out the roll pin in the steering coupling.
I tried using various spare bolts I had laying around. Those didn’t work. The punches I had were too small. Finally I called a friend and he brought over an assortment of hardware he thought might fit the bill. We cut one end flat on this metal rod and successfully tapped out the roll pin lickety split!
Next I pulled the steering wheel. Sure helps to have the right tool for this.
I made a note of how the coupling attached to the steering box. There were marks on both pieces already.
I removed the support bracket under the steering column. Snapped a picture so I would remember the wire routing. Unplugged the steering column connector, removed three bolts from the floor board and gently extracted the steering column.
The instrument cluster came out fairly easily. Just had to disconnect the speedometer cable, some plugs and the ammeter cables.
I sat and pondered how I might remove the heating & A/C units from under the dash. I decided it’ll probably be easier if I remove the dash first. But the problem is, the bolts that secure the dash to the car are right up against the bottom of the windshield. So I’ll have to remove the windshield first. I carefully removed the chrome trim around the windshield.
Then I cut the old rubber windshield gasket.
After pulling off the part of the gasket that was holding the windshield in place, I was able to gently press out the windshield and remove it from the car.
Yuck! Lots of rust damage under there. Hopefully the body shop will be able to fix it.
And voilà! The dash fasteners!